Sunday 15 November 2015

A funny book about cats for charity, anyone?

I have told you already how I got my kitty, Huck, who then became an inspiration for "It's a cat life". Now, perhaps, it is time to tell the story of how I lost him. It was to be a long-term relationship, but too soon a moment came when my black mischief went to a different home. It was a hard choice, but right one, I believe. His diary, however, was finished to serve a higher purpose, raising money and awareness for animals everywhere.



Shortly after adopting Huck, my husband and I also brought home another black kitty, who we named Ben. Initially they fought each other, but within days became good friends, almost inseparable. We took good care of them; both cats received all necessary vaccines, we cured Ben of disease (he was ill when we picked him up), and paid all vet's bills. We fed them well; their fur was shiny... Each cat was different, but they were growing to be beautiful, well-groomed pets.

Huck and Ben

Huck and his friend, who figures as "The Other Cat" in his diary, watching "Gangnam Style" together

However, three months later our circumstances changed - my illness and lower salary playing the main part here. My husband and I did the maths and it turned out there was no budget for cat expenses. And I am a firm believer that each pet deserves a proper care... which I was unable to provide at the time.

HUCK
After a long discussion, some soul-searching and a lot of frowning, we decided to find them a new home - one where they could stay together. We were picky. Finally, a lady with her little son arrived and took both kitties. She already owned a rabbit, so I thought it would be a nice, fluffy trio with the whole garden to play in.

Huck and rabbit, in his new home

Of course, I did not like it. I wanted to keep my cats. Given the circumstances, however, I still believe it was the right decision.

As much as sad this was, I am left with "It's a cat life" - a tribute to Huck. And since finishing the book went hand in hand with me giving away my purring companions, I decided I'd like this book to serve a charitable purpose. I'd like to give it to any animal-helping organisation that wishes to take it, along with any royalties I would've earned, so the entire profits from its sale could go towards animal welfare.


I think there is no better item than a book on your shelf to remind of a good deed. Therefore, should you be interested or know anyone who is, please contact me HERE. It may not be a conventional offer, but if it can help - great.

"It's a cat life" is currently available on Amazon (UK HERE / US HERE) - here you can find out more about the book and read the reviews. I originally published it under the pen-name of "Monica Shostek".

No comments:

Post a Comment