Thursday 5 November 2015

Day 2 of Huck's Diary - the extract from "It's a cat life"

Before waking up the hoomans, I decided to have a little stroll around this new place. It seems that they have limited me to the kitchen and hallway; I learnt to recognise these two long time ago, because my mother told me these were two most popular places to keep young cats in. She said: it’s not such a bad thing. Apparently, the kitchen is where hoomans keep their food, and you can sometimes get something extra to eat. 


The floor is cold here, made of something strange. Only in the hallway I discovered a superb tool to sharpen my nails; I think it’s called a carpet. I bit it a few times, too; oh, I’m going to have fun with it. There wasn’t much to explore, to be honest, but I found my food and a box for peeing; too close to each other, if you ask me. If that’s how the hoomans do it, I have no respect for them.

There were some nice soft cables to chew on, too. I decided to leave them for later and I was just going to wake them up when I found something… It was a long object, with something chewy on one end and a little tip on the other. Later I heard them calling it “pen-seal”.




I still don’t know what it means or what its purpose is. I must admit that it is extremely interesting, though.

When I touched it, it rolled on the floor. At first, I was surprised and I thought it would run away. But it didn’t. It just stayed in one place. So I pushed it again and it rolled even further!

I was so excited that I actually went to wake up the hoomans to show them that thing. I meowed under their door, but they didn’t react. I was afraid the thing would run away, so I kept going back and checking whether it was still there; then I meowed some more.

Finally – finally! – the female came out and transmitted some weird, ordinary sounds towards me. I ran to the object and started rolling it on the floor to show it to her, but she didn’t seem impressed.

Silly mouse! It was so thrilling!

But I didn’t let off my guard; while rolling this extraordinary thing on the floor, I kept observing her. She went to see my bowl with food; I didn’t eat everything, which seemed to satisfy her. I made a note to myself to eat all my food every time.

Then she checked my peeing box; I hadn’t used it by then, which also seemed positive to her; I decided to leave my excrements in it as soon as I was done with my new device. Then she made some more sounds and went back to her chamber.

I could not believe it! She completely ignored this amazing thing I was rolling on the rough kitchen surface!

They emerged out of the room well after dawn. I made a big, stinky poo, which they removed immediately; then they opened the windows. I also ate all of my food, which helped to make that poo.

Then they gave me a small, round thing. They scared the bejesus out of me! It bounced, and I thought it was going to attack me! It didn’t take me long to realise that it was supposed to be my new toy or something, which really was quite stupid, because it was not interesting at all.

After that, the male hooman went away, disappearing behind one of the doors. I couldn’t see him until darkness.

The female hooman sat on the floor and kept throwing this thing, and I was supposed to go and catch it, I think. I attempted to do that, just to keep her happy, but it was hard, because it bounced away, and I couldn’t quite put my claws in it. So I finally left it alone and went to the hooman to lie down; she kept touching me, which I didn’t like. But she was warm, so I lied on her legs for a while and fell asleep.


Source: Pintrest, dueysdrawings.com 


When I woke up, she was sitting on the floor, holding a book, looking at it as if it was something special. I didn’t understand why; it didn’t even move.

Then she removed me from her lap and went to the kitchen.

I spent the rest of my day exploring my new prison. The female tried to hide from me in her chamber a few times, but I meowed at her and she returned every time.

I am still not sure what to make of this place, but at least I have food all to myself.




Want to read more?  Huck's diary, also called "It's a cat life", is now available on Amazon (UK HERE / US HERE). I originally published it under the pen-name of "Monica Shostek".

No comments:

Post a Comment